MAFB searches for a new Executive Director
The Mid America Freedom Band seeks a part time Executive Director for approximately 15-20 hours per month. Outstanding opportunity for professional growth and community involvement. For more information read the full job description below.
Purpose statement: The Mid America Freedom Band provides opportunities for instrumental music lovers to share their passion of performance with the diverse community of Kansas City. It strives for excellence while promoting equality, fostering education and celebrating the joy shared through music.
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Executive Director will help build awareness and provide leadership to the organization in fundraising, community partnership, and capacity building. They will work closely with the Board of Directors, Artistic Director, and staff to achieve development goals and outcomes. As a newly structured position in the MAFB, the Executive Director will have the opportunity to help define and structure the evolution of this position to best fit the needs of the membership.
This position is part time, requiring approximately 15-20 hours per month.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate with the Board of Directors in developing a vision and strategic plan to guide the MAFB.
- Identify, assess, and inform the Board of Directors of internal and external opportunities and/or issues that could affect the MAFB.
- Act as an advisor to the Board of Directors on relevant aspects of the organizations activities.
- In addition to the Chair of the Board, and the Artistic Director, act as a spokesperson for the MAFB.
- Conduct official correspondence on behalf of the Board as appropriate, and jointly with the Board when appropriate.
- Attend MAFB events and represent the organization at community activities to enhance the organization’s community profile.
Operational planning and management:
- Develop an operational plan which incorporates short and long term organizational goals of the MAFB.
- Ensure that the operation of the organization works towards meeting the expectations of all stakeholders of the MAFB.
- Oversees the efficient and effective day-to-day business operation of the organization.
- In conjunction with the Finance Committee, maintain and update the asset inventory of the MAFB.
- Ensure that confidential data of all stakeholders of the MAFB are securely stored and privacy/confidentiality is maintained.
- Works with the Board of Directors to identify and evaluate the operational risks to the organization’s members, staff, volunteers, property, finances, goodwill, and image and implement measures to control risks.
Financial Planning and management:
- Work with the Board and staff to prepare a comprehensive budget.
- Work with the Board to secure adequate funding for the operation of the organization and identify ways to maximize resources.
- Research funding sources, oversee the development of fund raising plans and write funding proposals and grants applications to maintain and increase the revenue of the MAFB.
- Participate in general fundraising activities as appropriate.
- Establish a process and reporting system that clearly identifies revenue sources and sourcing methods.
- In conjunction with the Finance Committee, provide the Board with comprehensive, regular reports on the revenues and expenditures of the organization.
- Ensure that the MAFB complies with all 501(c)3 legislation and regulation in regards to its fund raising.
Community relations, media and marketing:
- Manage and deliver marketing and communication strategies within budgets approved by the Board of Directors.
- Ensure the effective marketing of MAFB ticketing and box office communication so as to increase overall box office revenues.
- In collaboration with the Board of Directors, staff and standing committees, manage and deliver the design, production, print, and distribution of MAFB marketing and communication materials. This will include, but is not be limited to, programs, advertisements, flyers and posters, TV/radio spots, press releases, newsletters, and websites.
- Develop and maintain social media marketing strategies to establish a greater community presence.
- In order to establish and maintain a quality working relationship with the MAFB members, staff and Board of Directors, this individual will attend select rehearsals, concerts, Board meetings, social events, and other activities.
- As assigned by the Chair of the Board of Directors
Interested candidates should submit a letter of interest, resume and 3 references to: firstname.lastname@example.org.